Parking Paranoia Causes Consumers to Overpay; Leave Shopping Queues Early to Avoid Fines
LONDON – December 15, 2015 – New research shows the fear of getting a parking ticket is dampening UK shoppers’ festive Christmas spirit. According to a poll of motorists commissioned by parking payment app and services provider PayByPhone, an overwhelming 90 percent of consumers said they overpay by an average of £1.40 (LDN: £1.42/ MAN: £1.37) every time they park to avoid returning late to a fine.
Other key findings includes:
- Nearly half of all shoppers (LDN: 46%/ MAN: 49%) have cut short a shopping trip; nearly a third (29% (LDN: 28% / MAN: 27%) have walked out of a queue to avoid a fine
- A whopping 45% (LDN: 50%/ MAN: 39%) have cut short time spent with friends and family, in order to run back to the car with more than 25 percent saying they’re unable to enjoy events, like the end of a play or finishing a meal out, at least once a month.
- More than a third of consumers (LDN: 37% / MAN: 34%) said they feel unsafe when paying for parking on the street, rising to 40% of women and 50% of 17-24 year olds
- Nearly half of consumers surveyed (LDN: 45%/MAN: 39%) said the very thought of getting a parking fine is a cause of daily stress ranking it as more stressful than being late for a meeting or spilling food on their clothes.
“Don’t let the stress of feeding the meter slow you down amid the holiday hustle,” said PayByPhone President Kush Parikh. “PayByPhone gives shoppers and retailers peace of mind by making paying for parking a pleasant experience vs. a painful one.”
PayByPhone makes parking easier giving consumers the ability to pay for parking using their mobile phone. Key benefits includes:
- Save time parking. No more fishing for change or waiting in line to pay. Once you’ve registered for the service, PayByPhone lets you go about your day paying for your parking on the go with just a few taps in our app or via a quick call using the local rate number on signs at the parking location.
- Get alerts before time expires. With nearly 60 percent of those surveyed (LDN: 55%/MAN: 58%) saying they try to keep track of time left on the meter in their head, PayByPhone reminds you of how much time’s left on the meter via text message.
- Avoid fines by adding time right from the app. Don’t let an expiring parking meter cause you to leave an event early or cut an important meeting short. With nearly two thirds (61% (LDN: 65% / MAN: 57%)) of those surveyed agree the ability to top up parking remotely would reduce holiday stress, PayByPhone lets consumers add time with just a few taps.
ABOUT THE RESEARCH
The poll was carried out between: November 24-30, 2015 by Opinion Matters, Ltd. The sample was 2,004 Adults from London & Manchester who have driven and/or parked a car within the last year.
PayByPhone is one of the fastest growing mobile payments companies in the world processing more than four million parking, tolling, public transit, bike share and EV charging transactions a month in cities across Europe and North America. Through the company’s mobile web, smartphone and smartwatch applications, PayByPhone helps millions of consumers easily and securely pay for parking and other transportation services without the hassles of waiting in line, having to carry change or risking costly fines.
By helping transportation agencies and parking operators tap into the latest advancements in secure mobile payment, Big Data and location technologies, the company helps them reduce infrastructures costs while increasing revenue and compliance through the delivery of services integrated with consumers’ always on the go, mobile digital lifestyle. To learn more, visit us www.paybyphone.co.uk or download our app for iOS, Android and Blackberry devices.
+1 425 829 8466
Sarah Musselbrook / Louise Watson / Tom Chamberlain
Brands2Life for PayByPhone
020 7592 1200